I’m a self-taught artist living in the Flatlands of NW Ohio formerly known as The Great Black Swamp. Gourds happened in 2004 and I was hooked. My gourd was gobsmacked literally by a gourd named Gourd Woman.
I hadn’t a clue what a gourd was. I just knew I had to find out more. She drew me in & thank the stars, my friend gifted her to me. I was taking copious amounts of pictures as we shared a booth at a parking lot flea market. I was making & selling dream pillows at the time. Gourd Woman whispered to me of new paths & creativity.
I dallied around & made lamps, vases, bowls & masks. I never made a birdhouse, go figure. I landed on figurative beings after a foray into celebrity gifting. That’s when all the bells & whistles went off. Figurative sculpture with gourds is an ongoing adventure that I don’t see ending anytime soon.
What inspires me? The question What If is the biggest motivator. Sure, you could use What If negatively. I find it spurs the imagination & curiosity. Like what if tree beings only look like they do to us because they are wearing disguises? What if there is such a thing as spider fairies? What if there are beings that can help us access parts of ourselves (our magic, our strengths) & help us step into a more authentic version of ourselves? What would they be called? What would they look like? Yeah, that question What If makes me look at things differently.
Here’s a short list of fun facts:
- I’m the Pet Hooman of 5 felines, 2 canines & Benito (Bennie) Betta Feesh.
- Favorite color is Purple add orange to that & I’m swooning.
- I am an unabashed fan of 90’s Dance music.
- I ADORE/LOVE/AM CRAZY ADDICTED to RuPaul’s Drag Race.
- Ditto the above for Boulet Brother’s Dragula.
- I love mind bendy outside of the box people.
- I will have a VW mini bus one day. I WILL!
- I can inhale ice cream at an unholy speed & don’t get brain freeze. It’s a gift.
- I can’t hold a tune or note but caterwaul with the best of them.
- I enjoy music at ear blistering levels.
- I love shoes that are wearable works of art.
- I love teenagers. Really. Really.
- I’m in touch with my inner teenager way too much.
- I’ve been grounded to my room by my kids for being too hooeyish.
This Haiku best sums up my perspective & how I look at the world.
The Door Knob
I grasp the cold brass.
What lies behind the doorway?
Magic or mundane?
©Tracy Swartz January 16, 2010